Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words hell and/or heaven, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on September 22nd. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Hell or Heaven will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 23rd between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, September 22, 2023

Rick Leddy

Monkey on a Dog


I'm a Monkey on a Dog

He said to me

Just Hanging on 

But I don't know why

Waiting for rewards 

I know won't come 

Heaven's in a Glass

And Hell is when it's gone

I'm a Monkey on a Dog

Just Riding the Beast 

Too Afraid To Fall

Because I might Fly 

Going Round in Circles 

Dressed With Nowhere to Go

Life's a rattle in my chest

That chills me to the bone

I'm a Monkey on a Dog

It's a one way ride

Grab hold of the fur

And watch for the teeth




Daylight Moon


Day time full moon tied up

in thin black wires

Stringed silhouettes piercing homes

Powering fantasies and killing time

Rows of poles reaching to heaven

False idols jabbing the horizon

Challenging the beauty of sublime reflection

The soft white satellite laughing at the hubris of it all

As it trails across the sky




The Silence


The quiet is an invader

Assaulting us

Jackbooting over intimacy

Claiming victory over love

When did the world go silent?

She did not say to him

The angels of our better intentions falling from grace

The evening a pantomime 

of what we once had

Black nights long as winter sets in

Your lips move 

But your prayers go unheard

Heaven became purgatory

Then nothing at all

I remember when laughter was song

Before the years robbed us of sound

When noise filled our lives

The cacophony overwhelming at times

But at least it was something

Not this

Fallen words shattered at our feet

Until all that is left

Are rooms filled with us

Illiterate mind readers

Mute to each other


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lorelei Kay

Banning the Bean Dashing home after third grade, I pushed aside our heavy front door and ran inside hollering, “Mom, I’m…” when the od...