Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words hell and/or heaven, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on September 22nd. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Hell or Heaven will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 23rd between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Alicia Viguer-Espert

The Wayfarer


Penitent with a broken heart

I cross tumultuous rivers

clothes wet, sandals on hand,

a stick of repentance to steady me

for when I pass to the other shore

where torn leaves wait in silence

praying for the wind to lift them 

to heaven. I kneel with the sisters

hoping for the good fortune of faith.




Leaving Paradise


Trees were everywhere

but the fig tree in the middle of the body

of the garden, was my favorite.

The air, sweet with bees and flowers

made me lose my mind.


I walked the enclosure barefooted

called the moon appearing on the horizon,

huge, pregnant with nectar 

drank in a juvenal bacchanalia,

Bacchus looked on sitting on a barrel

guarding the wine, sipping slowly  

infinite problems destined to remain unsolved.


Confused I stood by the gate,

ideas exited first, almost flying,

never touching the dust, 

then feelings pushed each other 

to cross the portal where senses crawled

trying to undo each other.


Rain bathed camelias and jasmine,

sweetness multiplied honeysuckle’s intensity. 

I bit the base of its corolla, pulled pistils out

and suckled little balls of ambrosia for lunch.


It happened in March, in May, in June, in August,

which means, I was always drunk,

sheltered from the rain of misunderstanding,

the cold of loneliness, 

but not the ruins of a future identical to itself.


Neither striving, nor laziness, not even

memory had any business being there.

One day, when the mood was right,

I opened the gate, and abandoned Paradise,

never to return.




The Mind


The light of the mind bright as it is, it is not

what I seek must be perennial pine trees,

bright green, sitting with like companions 

in the temple of leaves, needles pungent,

sharp like swords ready to cut through 

distractions, seductive thoughts, honey 

of a flickering phone calling to engage

with a world of plenty unnecessary news.

It’s late, I tell my mind to be quiet,

I tell my mind to be still, so I can hear

the voice of the Beloved whispering.

What I hear is the body complaining,

lumbar vertebrae, scapula, cervical sprain,    

every part clamors for complete attention.   

A voice brings to mind that day when at 6

I was scolded for something I didn’t do,

also, what I should have responded

to that teacher in college who couldn’t

give me a deserved A. I catch myself 

replying, try to stop a tsunami of thoughts 

but, I fail, again, and as I straighten 

my back, ask help from Heavens 

wondering how will I be able to listen 

with so much inner chatter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lorelei Kay

Banning the Bean Dashing home after third grade, I pushed aside our heavy front door and ran inside hollering, “Mom, I’m…” when the od...