Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words hell and/or heaven, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on September 22nd. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Hell or Heaven will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 23rd between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Lori Wall-Holloway

Desert Heaven


“He also made the stars. God 

set these lights in the heavens 

to light the earth…” 

(Genesis 1:16b-17 NLT)


Away from city lights

the black Mojave Desert 

sky is illuminated 

by heaven’s natural radiance

Packed in my line of vison 

are different shapes and designs 

that were created in space 

by the divine Creator


A periodic interruption 

of a falling star zips across

the universe like a splash 

of paint made to enhance

a new part of the galaxy

which waits to be discovered




Closure of the Past


“…I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. 

Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 

and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, 

and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life…”

 (Deuteronomy 30: 19-20 NIV)


In my past, I lived 

in a hell of self-absorption 

with a consuming 

nightmare of imperfection

enhanced by the influence

of rebellious idols in my life


As I walk away from former

days, I welcome a heavenly 

peace filled with God’s mercy 

where His grace is lavished 

on me regardless of my faults

This unconditional love 

compels me to turn from 

how I once was and towards 

life where new dreams

are formed beyond 

my imagination



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lorelei Kay

Banning the Bean Dashing home after third grade, I pushed aside our heavy front door and ran inside hollering, “Mom, I’m…” when the od...